Italian Sausage, Potato, and Kale Soup is one of my favorite things to eat when the weather gets cold. It is so delicious! It tastes similar to the Zuppa Toscana soup at Olive Garden. Bits of spicy sausage give the soup a kick while the cream and potatoes make it the best comfort food. Here is the recipe if you want to warm yourself up with a bowl of hot soup…
- 1 lb ground spicy Italian sausage
- 1 red bell pepper. chopped
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 8 garlic cloves, pressed
- 10 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4-5 russet potatoes
- fresh kale, several stalks (diced in fine ribbons)
- In a large pot add water and bouillon cubes. Bring this to boil. While waiting on your water to boil, peel 2 of the potatoes, rinse, and quarter.
- Scrub ans wash the remaining 3 potatoes. Slice the potatoes in rounds with the skins on. This will add some texture to the soup and give it a nutritional boost. I like to keep the potatoes in various sizes. (Knowing the smaller pieces will turn in to mush to thicken the soup and the larger pieces will give the soup some heartiness.)
- Add the potatoes to the pot.
- Cook the sausage, drain, and set aside.
- Add the pressed garlic, diced onion, and red pepper to the pot. I always throw my onion it the food processor because it can dice it very fine and I don’t think its appealing to have a large piece of onion in soup.
- Let the soup boil on med-high for 20 minutes.
- Add in sausage and heavy cream and boil on low heat an addition 10 minutes. In the final 5 minutes, toss in finely chopped kale.
- Turn off the heat and enjoy!